Perfume is the one gift that seems to really panic people, perhaps because fragrance has always been a very personal thing. Often our favourite ones are connected to memories or people that are really special to us and when buying for someone else, it’s something you really want to get right. As scary as shopping for perfume sounds it’s actually a lot easier than you think and can be a lot of fun too. So, to take the pressure off, I thought I would share with you a few of my top tips for fragrance shopping and 3 of my favourites this season for the special gals in your life.
Top tips when shopping for a perfume gift
1. Always keep the person you’re shopping for in mind and try not to be swayed by your own personal taste.
2. Think about what they like, their favourite food, fashion brands and lifestyle and what would work for them. If you know of another fragrance they love, even if it’s a candle, that can be a perfect starting point. It’s also important to consider their age, your 18 year old niece isn’t going to love Shalimar in the same way your grandma will…
3. Don’t just look at the bottle, it might be gorgeous but it’s whats inside that counts! Make sure you read the description and get clued up on all the ingredients. It’s also worth remembering how the fragrance notes work in perfume too. The top notes are what you smell immediately after spraying it, the medium notes are what comes through as the perfume dissipates on the skin and the base notes are the deeper scents that come through after around 30 minutes of wear.
4. Try and figure out which fragrance family you want to stick to, whether it’s floral, oriental, woody, aromatic or otherwise. This will help you to narrow down your search and keep you on the right track.
5. It may sound random but consider their personality. There is such a thing as a bold fragrance and it’s an unlikely match for a shy wallflower. You want them to feel comfortable wearing the scent and you don’t want it to overpower them.
When Fragrance Direct told me that the concept of their campaign was giving the perfect fragrance gift, I instantly thought of my mum. Hence the cute picture of us above! Her signature fragrance has been the Chloe Eau de Parfum since it first came out. It’s also the perfect gift if you’re buying for someone with a love of fashion, who’s refined and likes delicate fragrances. It’s a combination of peony, lychee and freesia mixed with warm amber and cedar wood making it a very sophisticated and elegant scent.
The next perfume I chose for someone like me. I love fragrances and I also love experimenting, I have a few go-to favourites but I’m always up for trying something new. The Scent Intense by Hugo Boss is a much bolder fragrance than the Chloe one and has top notes of honeyed peach and freesia blossom which are feminine but not too sweet. This is mixed with the warm scents of cocoa and vanilla which combined makes it a perfect shout for the winter months. I am also completely in love with the bottle, it’s so luxurious and the colour is totally divine.
Lastly this gorgeous, fruity fragrance from Lacoste is perfect for someone with more a playful personality and who prefers more subdued scents. The sweet florals are mixed with a woody and patchouli base as well as a touch of french macaroon, delicious! It’s a perfectly girly, everyday scent that doesn’t feel to dressy or over the top and would definitely be a safe option for someone younger too.
I hope this post has given you a boost in confidence before the chaos of Christmas shopping begins and that you’re as excited to get into the spirit as I am! Happy holidays!